Friday, September 21, 2007

Close But No Cigar

Thick and Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies

I got the recipe for these cookies from a cooking board (thanks, katie102006). I have to say that while they were very good and very easy to make, they were not the best cookie I have made. In my opinion, the award for the best cookie recipe is a tie between the Mrs. Field's cookie recipe and a recipe a friend gave me....I've never found a cookie recipe to beat these two! Let me know if you would like the recipes!

Ingredients:
- 2 c plus 2 Tbps all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted and cooled until warm
- 1 c. light or dark brown sugar, packed (I like light for the color)
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
- Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 325 degrees. Line two large cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Whisk flour, baking soda, and salt together in a medium bowl; set aside.
- Either by hand or with an electric mixer, mix butter and sugars until thoroughly blended. Beat in egg, yolk, and vanilla until combined. Add dry ingredients and beat at low speed just until combined. Stir in chips to taste.
- Roll scant 1/4 cup dough (I do a little more) into a ball. Holding dough ball in fingertips of both hands, pull into two equal halves, being careful not to smooth dough’s uneven surface.
- Place formed dough onto cookie sheet, leaving ample room between each dough mound.
- Bake, reversing position of cookie sheets halfway through baking (from top to bottom and front to back), until cookies are light golden brown and outer edges start to harden yet centers are still soft and puffy, 15 to 18 minutes.

Note: I usually hit the 18 min mark and they look underdone, but pull them out. By the time they cool they'll be perfect and chewy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

can you post you recipe that your MIL gave you? I looove chocolate chip cookies and trying different recipes. I tried this recipe also and thought the same- close but not the best. Thanks