Friday, September 28, 2007

Japanese Night

Menu:
Edamame with Sea Salt
Salad with Ginger Dressing
Tuna Tartare
Salmon Sushi

I am just going to post about the tuna tartare as that's really the only part of the meal that involved any skill. The salmon looked a bit "iffy" at the supermarket so instead of risking food poisoning, I picked up salmon sushi from a local sushi restaurant to complement the homemade tuna tartare.
This was another Ina Garten original :) The link to the original recipe follows, however on the food network website the serving size is for 50 people. I found my recipe in her "Family Style" cookbook with a serving size for 6-8 people (looks more like 3-4 people...)http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_28673,00.html
Review: While I thought the recipe was inherently very good, I felt like it was way too heavy on the lime. Next time, I will increase the soy sauce and decrease the lime juice to see if it improves the flavor.

Tuna Tartare
Serves 6-8

3/4 pound very fresh tuna steak
4 tbsp olive oil
Grated zest of 1 lime
3 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
1/2 tsp wasabi powder
1 1/2 tsp soy sauce
6 dashes Tabasco sauce
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 cup minced scallions, white and green parts
2 tsp minced fresh jalapeno pepper, seeds removed
1 ripe Hass avocado
1 tsp toasted sesame seeds (optional)

No comments: