Wednesday, September 5, 2007

A Healthier Burger

Last night, I made corn (see previous post) and tried out a new recipe (thanks, Joelen!) that had great reviews on a cooking board I frequent. Due to a camera failure (ok-human failure!) there is unfortunately no picture....next time I make this I will post one.
I usually find turkey burgers to be rather plain, dry and uninspired. These burgers, however, were great! I think its the cilantro that really makes them special. They couldn't be easier to make. I used extra-lean turkey and my husband commented that while he liked them, he thought they would be even better with a bit more fat so next time I will try lean ground turkey instead.

Cilantro Turkey Burgers
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 half large red onion
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt olive oil

In a bowl, grate onion. This allows it to add moisture to the turkey and even cooking.
To the grated onion, add turkey, cilantro & spices.
Combine thoroughly without over handling.
Shape into 4 patties.
Heat up grill pan or grill.
Add oil to lubricate grill pan/grill.
Cook on grill pan/grill pan until juices run clear.

No comments: