Wednesday, August 22, 2007
Southern Pecan Fried Chicken
This recipe is from one of Lee Bailey's cookbooks. My mom used to make this a lot in the summer when we brought dinner to the beach. My sister and I loved this chicken so much we actually fought over it...I've even been known to eat the leftovers for breakfast ;)
This chicken goes really well with a potato dish...vinaigrette-based potato salad in the summer and mashed potatoes in the winter!
2 lbs chicken breasts (cut into 2-4 strips per breast)
1 1/2 cups buttermilk
2 cups pecans
1 1/3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
light olive oil
1. Marinate chicken strips in buttermilk for 30 minutes.
2. In a food processor, combine all dry ingredients and pulse (leave some chunky pieces of pecans!)
3. Pour dry flour mixture onto a plate and dip chicken, pressing nuts into tho chicken with your hands.
4. Let chicken rest in the fridg for 30 minutes.
5. In a large frying pan, pour in 1/2 inch of light olive oil. Heat until hot over med-high heat.
6. Carefully put chicken in, 2-4 minutes per side until golden brown
7. Drain chicken on paper towel. Enjoy warm or cold!