Sunday, August 19, 2007

Dinner Party Menu

sorry, But I don't have any pics...I thought it might be a bit off-putting to my guests if I starting photographing their food :)

Hors D'Oeuvres: Hummus doctored up with toasted pine nuts, cumin and olive oil (thanks Felic!), baby carrots and crackers

Appetizer: Arugula and baby spinach salad with apple, toasted walnuts, and shaved manchego with champage vinegar dressing, and balsamic glaze drizzled on the plate.

Entree: Roasted Wild Coho Salmon with a balsamic reduction (see recipe below), roasted broccoli with garlic and parmesan and mashed Yukon Gold potatoes with sour cream.

Dessert: Lemon Cake ( see recipe in previous post), fresh raspberries and blueberries

I thought everything turned out really well excpet for two things...
1. I don't think I reduced the balsamic sauce enough for the salmon as it was a litle thin when poured over the salmon. It had a great flavor though so it didn't matter too much.

2. I need to work on my mashed potatoes... I don't often make them and while they seem like a simple enough thing, mine never quite turn out the way I want... suggestions?


Roasted Salmon with a Balsamic Reduction
(an adaption of a recipe from Bon Apetit, July 2007)
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/recipe_views/views/105288

Sauce:
1/2 cup good balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 Tbsp dark brown sugar
2 Tspsp lemon juice

Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to boil. Reduce to about 1/3 cup, about 17 minutes. Watch the sauce carefully as it can burn! Can be a made a few hours ahead and slowly rewarmed before using.

Salmon:
4, 6-ounce filets of wild salmon
olive oil
salt
pepper

Preheat the oveen to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with foil. Place salmon on sheet and drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper. Roast for abotu 20 minutes. Drizzle balsamic sauce over the salmon and serve!

No comments: